Ministry of Digital Economy & Entrepreneurship
Terms of Reference
Youth Technology and Jobs Project
- About the Youth, Technology, and Jobs (YTJ) Project
The Government of Jordan (GoJ) has received financing from the World Bank to implement the Youth, Technology, and Jobs (YTJ) project, which has become effective in April 2020. The YTJ project aims to improve digitally enabled income opportunities and expand digitized government services in Jordan. The project will build an impetus for private sector-led growth of the digital economy and make interventions to address specific constraints in the supply and demand sides of the digital economy. The project duration is five years. The Ministry of Digital Economy & Entrepreneurship (MoDEE) is the implementing agency of the YTJ project.
As part of Capacity Building and Knowledge Transfer efforts, MODEE is seeking to hire additional team members, The Digital Transformation Task Team (DTT), to provide long-term technical expertise to implement the Digital Jordan program, including specialists in business process re-engineering, digital payments, mobile applications, API design, and other skills. This digital transformation task team (DTT) will be responsible for overseeing, aligning, prioritizing, and implementing the e-transformation and digitization of government payments projects, sequencing their execution based on their dependencies, and liaising with ministries and agencies including the Central Bank of Jordan as needed. This team will also be responsible for quality assurance of private sector and consultant deliverables.
As part of the DTT Team, MODEE is seeking to hire two Data Scientists, as per the following:
- Responsibilities of the Data Scientist
Under the general supervision of the Digital Transformation Manager, the Data Scientist is responsible for the Main Duties and responsibilities:
• Determine data needs in order for the Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship services to evaluate the effectiveness of its projects;
• Develop quantitative models of Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship service delivery to analyse performance and to predict changes under different policy scenarios;
• Find, enrich, transform, interpret, and exploit data within MoDEE and across government entities to create meaningful products or services for the Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship;
• Provide of data insights to government departments, as well as personalization and development of infrastructure to enhance the government’s vision of data-driven citizen services;
• Define, develop and lead a data science initiatives within the digital transformation team at the Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship;
• Act as a liaison on potential joint projects related to data science and participate in collaborative efforts with public institutions and the private sector;
• Regularly update knowledge of academic and industry data science practices and standards;
• Communicate and present findings to the Digital Transformation Manager;
• Document methodologies employed in research and data exploitation solutions;
- Perform any additional tasks requested by the Digital Transformation Manager
- Eligibility and Required Qualifications
- 5-7 years of experience in a similar position;
- Experience gathering requirements and identifying opportunities to apply data science towards business objectives;
- Experience prototyping and developing data exploitation capabilities using Python, R, and other technologies;
- Experience visualizing analytics, producing reports , and designing and delivering presentations;
- Experience working with various Big Data technologies;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Self-motivated with a willingness to take initiative;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work under pressure, and within teams to achieve objectives;
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Strong Communication and negotiation skills;
- Accurate and precise attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively and diplomatically with government officials and donors;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in Arabic and English;
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Education Requirements
University Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, field of study related to data analytics, or any another relevant field.
- Duration of Assignment
The contract period is for one year, renewable up to 4 years. The Data Scientist must diligently perform in a proper and efficient manner the duties set out within these TOR and any other task or responsibilities that may arise in relation to the proper management and delivery of the project.
Only the most qualified and suitable candidates will be invited to interviews. Interested eligible individuals may submit their application through the following link by 17 December, 2020: